Established in 1826, the Liberia Herald was the first newspaper published in the colony of Liberia. John Russwurm, who had co-edited the path-breaking Freedom’s Journal in New York City, served as the primary editor of the Herald beginning in 1830. Influential Pan-Africanist Edward Blyden worked as a journalist and editor at the paper during the 1850s. Despite its deep significance for the histories of both Africa and America, complete runs of the Herald are difficult to find. Scattered issues published between 1842 and 1857 are available here.
Source: Maryland State Colonization Society Papers, MS 571, Maryland Historical Society (Baltimore, MD)